Saturday, February 4, 2012

Frankly, My Dear: Rianna's film survey

The charming Rianna of Frankly, My Dear poses some interesting classic movie questions and, being as I want to avoid my Saturday chores, I'm more than happy to oblige with some answers.


1. Favorite classic Disney?

"The little elephant with the big ears - Dumbo!"

Seamless storytelling that expertly combines the sentimental and the cynical with a lovely Oscar winning score.


2. Favorite film from the year 1939?

John Ford shows everybody how to make a movie.


3. Favorite Carole Lombard Screwball role?

Lily Garland from Howard Hawks' Twentieth Century
Carole Lombard and John Barrymore


4. Favorite off screen couple? (It’s ok if it ended in divorce.)

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
No divorce for these lovebirds.


5. Favorite pair of best friends? (i.e: Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford)

Frank McHugh, Pat O'Brien, James Cagney

James Cagney and Pat O'Brien were not only compatible screen partners, with ten movie collaborations to their credit, but pals (drinking buddies) outside of work as well.


6. Favorite actor with a mustache?

The Mouthpiece himself - Warren William.


7. Favorite blonde actress?

The world's most talented girl next door - Doris Day.


8. Favorite pre-code?
The pace is remarkable in this not for the politically correct thriller. You can't take your eyes off the screen for a moment or you'll miss something. Lewis Stone as a senior citizen James Bond type going up against a maniac Boris Karloff bent on world domination? Irresistible.


9. Which studio would you have liked to join?

The studio sorting hat places this community theatre character actress at Twentieth Century Fox where she can appear in Charlie Chan movies, be spotlighted in the odd film noir, kick up her heels in a musical or two and maybe have a bit in a John Ford film.


10. Favorite common on screen pairing that SHOULD have gotten married?

John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara


11. Favorite I Love Lucy episode?

One? The Operetta from Season 2. It is so very funny.


12. Out of these actresses which one do you like best: Lucille Ball, Ingrid Bergman, Natalie Wood, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Greer Garson, Grace Kelly, or Katharine Hepburn?

My favourite actress of those listed is Katharine Hepburn. Her versatility and strength continually astounds me. Although I could make a strong case for all of the ladies listed.


13. Shadowy film noir from the 1940’s or splashy colorful musicals from the 1950’s?

So, you're asking me to choose between Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Laura? Impossible. Although, once I recommended a movie to someone and she asked "It's not one of those noir things you like, is it?" So, I guess I'm really the dark, moody type.


14. Actor or actress with the best autograph (photo preferred).

Have you ever seen a neater hand than Randolph Scott's? I appreciate nice handwriting.


15. A baby (or childhood, or teenage) photo of either your favorite actress or actor (or both, if you’d like.)

Little Jimmy Cagney would grow up to be my favourite actor. The kid was born with attitude.



21 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you for participating in my survey! I loved reading your answers. Dumbo is one of my favorite classic Disneys. The scene where Dumbo and his mother are forced to part their ways always made me sob as a little kid! I too love Doris Day, she was the original "girl next door."

    Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Rianna. I hope to read all sorts of responses to your survey. Your blog is fun and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CW - you have excellent taste! No wonder I always agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like this survey and I love your answers. Several of them are what I'd pick. I think we were both found under the same lettuce patch, C.W. HA!

    I so emphatically agree with your choice of Carole Lombard in TWENTIETH CENTURY. One of the funniest movies ever made. It's my favorite Barrymore performance as well.

    Maybe I'll take the quiz myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvette, I had a lot of fun answering Rianna's survey and I hope you join in.

    "Twentieth Century" leaves me breathless. Hawks really knew funny. Actually, Hawks could do anything, couldn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and LAURA...who could chose? Plus, I love your LUCY pic (overshadowed by some of the more publicized episodes like the candy factory).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick, "The Operetta" is not only funny, but doesn't it also look like it was lots of fun for the cast? What would your answer be to that question or any of the questions on the survey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices, but I have too much trouble deciding these things. It's good that nobody ever put me in charge of anything important. I'd waste too much time deliberating.

    So, you've trod the boards in community theatre? I used to work backstage, produce, man the sound and lighting booth, and direct for community theatre. Also, many of the plays I've written have been performed by community theatre. The heart and soul of a community. I love it. Strangely, I find myself more moved by a great performance by my mail carrier than I do a Broadway professional. I suppose it's because you don't expect it in Joe, but you've paid a wheelbarrow full of money to see it on Broadway, so you demand nothing less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your dilemma between SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (my favorite movie) and LAURA (which I was, in part, named for!). What a quandary! :)

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline, what great comments on community theater. Have you ever seen WHO AM I THIS TIME? with Susan Sarandon and Christopher Walken? I bet you'd love it. Hour-long drama about community theater, first saw it when I was in college in the '80s. It's out on DVD. I'm guessing Caftan Woman would like it too!

    I did community theater when I was in high school but not since then...

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    (Removed comments above due to typo in Jacqueline's name...I'm having trouble spelling this morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, I have seen "Who Am I This Time" and loved it. I don't own a copy, but maybe I'll run across it again some time or other.

    I routinely misspell my own name. I get as far as the C and then my mind starts to wander and I lose interest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Jacqueline, I'm a refugee from the stage. I've stage managed, produced, prompted and propped. I was never happier than when I grew into character roles. I also met my husband doing community theatre. He graciously recalls the time as "I was only doing it to meet girls and look what happened!"

    I know what you mean about being moved by the amateur performances. My favourite Tevye, my favourite Aldonza, and my favourite Desiree Armfeldt are all from "little theatre" productions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura, where do you fall on the side of the quandry? Can you choose between musicals and noir? Yikes!

    My first thought about Rianna's survey was "oh, what fun", followed by "she wants me to think about this".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this - "My favourite Tevye, my favourite Aldonza, and my favourite Desiree Armfeldt are all from "little theatre" productions."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Certainly agree with your choices on favorite mustached actor and favorite blonde actress. My own pre-Code choice,though, would go to another blonde actress--Jean Harlow, in either 'Red-Headed Woman' or 'Red Dust' (hard to choose). As for onscreen couple that should be married--Loy & Powell, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Kevin.

    Well, "GOM", I'm not going to argue with a Harlow fan. I think the favourite pre-code question Rianna poses is the most interesting one of all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really agree with your choice for #10... Favorite common on screen pairing that SHOULD have gotten married? John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

    ReplyDelete

PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE SAUSALITO SUNRISE

Terence Towles Canote at A Shroud of Thoughts is hosting The 8th Annual Favourite TV Show Episode Blogathon . The popular blogathon is runn...